Kano: is he black or white?
posted07/31/2006 04:00 AM (UTC)by
koups
I remember Kano used to be black in the first MK game, as well as in the second MK game (he was tied up in one of the backgrounds).
Why did they decide to make him white in the following MK games?
Does it have anything to do with the MK movie? (In the movie he's white and he's got an Australian accent...) Since MK Deadly Alliance, he looks pretty much like the "movie Kano". I personally prefer the original Kano.
He wasn't so "pumped up" and muscular, but he really seemed to be smart with an evil criminal mind. After the 3d transition, he just seemed stupid and big...
Anyone knows why this change took place? I've never heard anything on this subject so far...
Ninja_Mime
07/30/2006 08:58 AM (UTC)
MK1 Kano:

MK3 Kano:

MKDA Kano:

He was never black. The actor remained the same through the entire 2D series, and he is white. The MKDA Kano is no different.

Where are you getting that idea from?
koups
07/30/2006 09:17 AM (UTC)
Well, that's a bit strange coming from you, as you've posted the pics of Kano...
The MK1 Kano is clearly dark skinned and could most likely be of arab origin, if not african. His characteristics absolutely match the arab look and so does his outfit.
MK3 Kano though doesn't seem to have a distinctive nationality (maybe European/French - he looks a bit like Fabien Barthez from the side, hahaha) and has no characteristics linking him to MK1 Kano, besides the robotic eye.
MKDA Kano has an American/Australian look, but clearly his appearance is very much like the movie Kano's appearance. His build and outfit is almost the same. And he doesn't look even vaguely reminiscent of the MK1 Kano, again besides the robotic eye, that is.
Darklord_Xel
07/30/2006 11:20 AM (UTC)
koups Wrote:
Well, that's a bit strange coming from you, as you've posted the pics of Kano...
The MK1 Kano is clearly dark skinned and could most likely be of arab origin, if not african. His characteristics absolutely match the arab look and so does his outfit.
MK3 Kano though doesn't seem to have a distinctive nationality (maybe European/French - he looks a bit like Fabien Barthez from the side, hahaha) and has no characteristics linking him to MK1 Kano, besides the robotic eye.
MKDA Kano has an American/Australian look, but clearly his appearance is very much like the movie Kano's appearance. His build and outfit is almost the same. And he doesn't look even vaguely reminiscent of the MK1 Kano, again besides the robotic eye, that is.

The Kano's in MK I, II and III are played the same actor, kay? (as said by NM) Same guy. He's a bald, white actor who also played Baraka, Kabal, and Quan Chi (in MKM:SZ). His name is Richard Divizio. Kano's never been Black, Indian, etc. The 'arab' feel your getting is probably from MK I's low-quality digitized graphics.
MK2KungBroken
About Me
The Prophet - R.I.P. 1979-2006www.kombatnetwork.com
- Your Source for UMK3 Competition -
When something better than UMK3 comes out, I'll let you all know, because it still hasn't happened yet.
07/30/2006 12:25 PM (UTC)
Kano just looks dirty.
Ninja_Mime
07/30/2006 03:10 PM (UTC)
Darklord_Xel Wrote:
koups Wrote:

The Kano's in MK I, II and III are played the same actor, kay? (as said by NM) Same guy. He's a bald, white actor who also played Baraka, Kabal, and Quan Chi (in MKM:SZ). His name is Richard Divizio. Kano's never been Black, Indian, etc. The 'arab' feel your getting is probably from MK I's low-quality digitized graphics.

Yeah.

Rich Divizio:

DAVE101
07/30/2006 06:26 PM (UTC)
koups Wrote:

Yeah, since all arabians have a laser for an eye... and they all dress like dirty terrorist/criminals...

Damn Racist
Ninja_Mime
07/30/2006 06:59 PM (UTC)
DAVE101 Wrote:
koups Wrote:

Yeah, since all arabians have a laser for an eye... and they all dress like dirty terrorist/criminals...

Damn Racist

Haha. grin
dolari
07/30/2006 11:53 PM (UTC)
Its not just you, though. My roomie thought the same thing. He was actrually MAD that they changed the actor in MK3, not knowing they were the same guy. :)
johnnycage10
07/31/2006 12:17 AM (UTC)
I have to agree with the original poster here, now that I think about it.

There's nothing racist about thinking that Kano looked Black or Arabic in MK1. I remember it was back in 1995 when I first came across the great MK1, and both my friend and I thought that Kano was a Black person. It wasn't till MK3 was played in the same year that it was found he's White.

But I do think it's due to the lower pixel quality of MK1 that makes him appear so, for what it's worth :)
DAVE101
07/31/2006 01:04 AM (UTC)
johnnycage10 Wrote: I remember it was back in 1995 when I first came across the great MK1, and both my friend and I thought that Kano was a Black person.

Is that the first thing you think about when you play video games? Who's black?
Jerrod
About Me
MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
Signature by Pred
07/31/2006 04:00 AM (UTC)
dolari Wrote:
Its not just you, though. My roomie thought the same thing. He was actrually MAD that they changed the actor in MK3, not knowing they were the same guy. :)

Yeah, I thought Kano was black until I saw that the actors were the same; anyway, Kano's white, so the question is answered.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.