The Hero of the Year 2013
posted12/31/2013 04:45 PM (UTC)by
Zmoke
Hello all. Discussion about Edward Snowden goes here.
Admin, technician Edward Joseph Snowden was born 6.21.1983 to North Carolina, USA, and his CV appears to begin from 2003, in the military:
Recruited in the United States army, his goal was to join the special forces to join the Iraq war – but Ed broke his leg during the recruit training process, so he had to quit that. Then Snowden went to study IT in Maryland University from where the Central Intelligence Agency recruited him. (Nice luck!) In the year 2007 CIA sent Ed to work in Geneva, the second largest city of Switzerland and a real bastion for many global organizations, incl. but not limited to CERN and many UN organizations, e.g. UNICEF. In Geneva he had gained access to vast amounts of secret surveillance info, some of which was gained by immoral ways like getting drunk and then bribing a Swiss banker, according to Snowden. In 2009 Snowden quit in CIA to work for a contractor of the National Security Agency. (Note: not for NSA.) For Booz A11en Hamilton, he began working in Japan and later in other Pacific isles – more specifically in Hawaii – where he worked till 6/2013.

At this point, aged 29, Snowden and the spies hit an everlasting limelight: in June he handed over secret information about this PRISM program, which e.g. eavesdrops your phone calls and collects details from them, for the British newspaper Guardian and the Washington Post from USA.

Right before the revelations, he had moved to China's liberal welfare island to south, Hong Kong, in hopes of avoiding American secretaries. Then in 6.17. he revealed how British surveillance agency, the Government Communications Headquarters, had spied South African and Turkish government phone and Internet traffic. In Edward's 30th birthday, 6.21., the United States proceeded against Ed for "spying" and demanded Hong Kong to hand out Snowden to them. Hong Kong refused and in 6.23. mr. Snowden flew to Moscow, Russia, intending to come to an EU nation.

During June we got tons of new information about NSA. It had allegedly also eavesdropped Russia's ex-president, Dmitri Medvedev as well as had read through millions of Chinese text messages. In the beginning of July, Vladimir Putin had requested Snowden to stop with the revelations that he cast from Russia – where he wasn't supposed to stay – since no EU country 'could' open gates for Snowden, citing their previously set immigration rules. Next, Snowden wanted to leave Europe altogether.

WikiLeaks founder, fellow 'hacktivist' Julian Assange identified himself as the main advocate de facto for Edward and it was no surprise that not just Assange, but also Snowden sought for refuge from the equatorial nation, Ecuador. That didn't work out though because it was required that Ed would have to locate an embassy first. He was still stuck in Moscow.

With the Syria politicking success, summer sport championships, Sochi Winter Olympics and all, Putin was tempted by the public to secure Snowden for the time being – Kremlin indeed extended Ed's refuge in Russia for six months. Throughout these six months, Edward Snowden has revealed tons of info about NSA as well as its British counterpart, GCHQ. Now it's ending – USA wants Snowden back – and the beans have been spilled: America spies not just its enemies but allies; its own.

I'd like to throw in that of course the countries all over the world are collectively shocked, the most for valid basis. However, one would like to think that competing superpowers would eavesdrop and do similar things. USA does most certainly lead in this matter, while Russia attempts to build an image of a UN-friendly nation in the middle of struggling with the population numbers with questionable ways such as anti-gay laws. On Snowden, I'd say that don't shoot the messenger.
Zentile
12/28/2013 03:26 AM (UTC)
Good guy, in my books.
m0s3pH
About Me

Mortal Kombat Online - Community Manager

| Twitch | YouTube | Lawful Chaos |

Signature and avatar by ThePredator151

12/28/2013 03:32 AM (UTC)
Snowden is a hero and anyone who says otherwise is objectively wrong.
Jerrod
About Me
MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
Signature by Pred
12/28/2013 07:53 PM (UTC)
This guy should be considered an American Hero, but is demonized by the US Government. People are still after this guy, trying to arrest him. It is so despicable that the only patriot out there has been banned from returning to the US as anything more than a criminal.
Zmoke
12/28/2013 08:42 PM (UTC)
I wholeheartedly agree with you guys. This just proves how corrupt the US government ultimately is. Killing aside, forcing the gov and the likes towards transparency seems like the only option to reduce corruption.
Hence we need to have these Snowdens coming.
TemperaryUserName
About Me
New sig on the way
12/29/2013 01:52 AM (UTC)
The dude is virtually a martyr. He gave up a six digit salary to inform the American people that their rights were being violated. Unfortunately, the ball is now in the court of the American people, and they're not doing jack shit.
Jerrod
About Me
MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
Signature by Pred
12/29/2013 02:04 AM (UTC)
TemperaryUserName Wrote:
The dude is virtually a martyr. He gave up a six digit salary to inform the American people that their rights were being violated. Unfortunately, the ball is now in the court of the American people, and they're not doing jack shit.

I think it's more like the American people want him free, but the politicians want to make him an example of what you do if you try to make any waves. This isn't the first time that those VOTED into power ignore the suggestions of those who voted for them and didn't have deep-enough pockets to remind them of why they were put in office.
Zmoke
12/30/2013 12:24 PM (UTC)
Surveillance agencies worldwide indeed do collaborate, and for a reason.Countries A and B both respectively state:
"We only spy on foreign countries."Country A spies country B and vice versa. Then they share the information they've received with each other. Change A to America and B to Britain.
Icebaby
12/31/2013 04:33 AM (UTC)
1.) I'm taking your banner thing and using it for a thread of mine, if you don't mind.

2.)
Jerrod Wrote:
This guy should be considered an American Hero, but is demonized by the US Government. People are still after this guy, trying to arrest him. It is so despicable that the only patriot out there has been banned from returning to the US as anything more than a criminal.

And yet, we have people who have committed even worse crimes here and they just get a slap on the wrist. I've heard people basically bash this guy and I feel like they have no idea what he did.

I remember overhearing two people talk about this guy and they have him totally wrong. He helped us understand that, hey, our government is kinda being a dick to its people, and it's people like these two guys I heard bashing about how he's a criminal when he did nothing but allowed us to know our rights are being taken away from us.

Idiots. But then again, I could go on about politics, I have a lot of people in my family that feeds me stuff all the time about.. stuff... that I don't feel like getting all Joe Pesci on about why this government is not... good...

Better not say too much stuff about them
Spider804
12/31/2013 05:01 AM (UTC)
Guv'mint sucks, nuff said.
Zmoke
12/31/2013 04:45 PM (UTC)
Icebaby Wrote:
1.) I'm taking your banner thing and using it for a thread of mine, if you don't mind.

Be my guest.

Icebaby Wrote:
I remember overhearing two people talk about this guy and they have him totally wrong. He helped us understand that, hey, our government is kinda being a dick to its people, and it's people like these two guys I heard bashing about how he's a criminal when he did nothing but allowed us to know our rights are being taken away from us.

They must have clung on the fact that Snowden broke the law by revealing a bigger law violation, when he had those disclosure rules. But that was the right thing to do. E.g., a guy breaks into a car to save a starving baby – he commits a small crime to prevent actually awful crimes from occurring.

Spider804 Wrote:
Guv'mint sucks, nuff said.

Nice to see you back, Spider. Here's Snowden from roughly a week ago.

Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.