TemperaryUserName
About Me
New sig on the way
12/20/2013 08:54 PM (UTC)
This site can avoid death with some pretty basic changes. They just have to update when iron is hot. Will it ever be as big as TYM? No, but TYM has years of momentum behind it regarding gameplay archives and their offline base. That's okay, though. MKO could be a place for those who celebrate MK in general (which TYM isn't so great at; it's mostly FGC).

Thing is, if the burden of change is entirely on CCshadow, I just don't know what Mick can do. That said, why not not just enlist someone else at this point? Is it because Shadow is the only one who'll do the job for free?
Torchia
12/21/2013 03:39 AM (UTC)
I think the forum is definitely too segregated. Having a modernized layout with only two forums split into "Mortal Kombat Discussion" and "General Discussion" (And maybe a third for Fan Creations) would be a huge help. "Gameplay and Matchmaking" could just as easily be a single thread along with "Introductions", "Future MK Games", and "Klassic MK Games", there's not enough movie news to warrant a forum for it, and the same goes for "Media and Merchandise". Perhaps we could have a forth forum for other Netherrealm games.

I could sincerely not tell you what is in most of the other forums, as I don't visit them nearly as frequently as I do the general discussion, as they are usually quite barren. Clicking through 11 forums to see if there are any new posts is insane to me.

In addition, in the spirit of complete transparency, I have no idea what I am allowed to give dragon points for anymore. I've handed a few out here and there, but have been slapped on the wrist once or twice for it, as well. The guidelines I've been given, "award to interesting thought-provoking posts", are not only extremely vague, but my opinion of what is worthy may differ from yours. I understand that my judgement needs to come into play, but when I do make an executive decision, I find out I was wrong.

Along with everyone else, I think an update to the site is a necessary change for MKO to sustain itself for the next several years. There are too many forums (which weren't so bad when we were chock full of users) that are just wasted space. Am I alone in thinking this?

If you're assuming the "Mortal Kombat Discussion" forum would become too crowded, a system in which we can subscribe to threads we like would be an ideal solution. I would just prefer hopping onto the MK side and seeing new threads at the top each time I come on. Increase the amount of pages we're allowed to bump threads from, and it would really liven up the joint.
Icebaby
12/21/2013 05:57 AM (UTC)
torchia Wrote:
I think the forum is definitely too segregated. Having a modernized layout with only two forums split into "Mortal Kombat Discussion" and "General Discussion" (And maybe a third for Fan Creations) would be a huge help. "Gameplay and Matchmaking" could just as easily be a single thread along with "Introductions", "Future MK Games", and "Klassic MK Games", there's not enough movie news to warrant a forum for it, and the same goes for "Media and Merchandise". Perhaps we could have a forth forum for other Netherrealm games.

After reading this, I'm going to raise my hand to second this.

I remember that I got skulled for posting a Youtube video about Mortal Kombat in the drive-by thread because I placed it in the wrong forum and knowingly did so... Well, I did that because no one visits the media forum anymore, so it wouldn't have been looked at. And not to be rude, but that was way too freaking silly to get "yelled" at when it's basically true. I can't remember when the last time that part of the site was popular.

And I know I was told this was going to never happen, but I'm gonna kinda throw this out there

I think there should be a change in the mods. I mean, we have at least two mods that I don't see here anymore and two that come on every so often. I know that this site isn't doing the shadow priest rotation because there's no enough users to rotate with. However, I don't think it's fair that we have only two portal guards patrolling the site every so often while there's like two-three others that aren't here anymore. Shouldn't there be something like, "if you're a mod and haven't been on this site for more than such and such, you will get demoted?"

Whether or not that's going to be taken seriously, I'm just throwing that out there since the last few months I've seen people demand better mod work... Especially since this site has a eh... problem already with some things, and I'm not naming them but they should be noticed.

I'm going to bed. Night y'all.
Mojo6
About Me

12/21/2013 02:34 PM (UTC)
See to me the popularity of the drive-by thread as well as the malign of it's deletion is directly related again to MKO lacking features that are staple in other sites and with social media. Let me list why I think people miss it so much.

1. Status updates - It's pretty common for real-time status updates to permeate social media and modern forums have incorporated those functions into profile features.

2. Easy accessibility - Touching on what I've already mentioned (as well as some other posters) people liked the drive-by thread because they were allowed to discuss whatever in a thread that consistently getting site traffic. That to me speaks to the lack of connectivity of the site yet again.

I honestly didn't use the drive-by thread but to dismiss it's popularity again is short-sighted. There's a lesson to be learned there.

TemperaryUserName
About Me
New sig on the way
12/21/2013 05:54 PM (UTC)
When did the drive-by thread get deleted?
Mojo6 Wrote:
1. Status updates - It's pretty common for real-time status updates to permeate social media and modern forums have incorporated those functions into profile features.

This one is huge IMO because a status feed would transcend the forum sections. In other words, people who only hang in general discussion would have another way to connect with people who only hang in MK2011. On TYM, I post exclusively on gameplay and news updates, but I've responded to status posts countless times when it comes to anime, mk lore, and film.
Mojo6
About Me

12/21/2013 06:58 PM (UTC)
@Temp:

I'm not sure when it got deleted honestly but there were a few threads about people being unhappy about it in the General Discussion forums. I do remember that the logic behind it is that ultimately (and I'm paraphrasing) Mick and co. felt that the Drive-by was reducing interactions within other parts of the forum as well as discouraging active new threads by being a sort of "catch all" thread.

Also, I spend a lot of time at TYM now too (I'm Saboteur-6 there) because frankly discussions I want to have, threads I want to post, and the sense of community just has a more conjoined feel. When I spend 45-60 minutes writing a lengthy "quality" post, or start threads to discuss topics, why would I post it on MKO where likely no one would see it or respond to it?

That's why I have a problem with an admin perspective of "well it's up to you the community to make interesting thread topics" when the site actively discourages through sparse moderation, a lack of modern features, and an apparent lack of interest in the site from the administration.
TonyTheTiger
About Me

TonyTheTiger - Forum Director

Mortal Kombat Online - The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
-
Nintendo is comprised of three Japanese words. Nin, Ten, Dou, and when combined it means we kicked the holy shit outta Atari.

12/21/2013 08:44 PM (UTC)
Mojo6 Wrote:
@Temp:
That's why I have a problem with an admin perspective of "well it's up to you the community to make interesting thread topics"

Except it's the only option at the present time. You need to understand that "interest in updating the site" is not the same thing as "ability to update the site." Trust me, if I had a magic wand I'd love to put up a fresh coat of paint. It's not Mick-Lucifer's fault, either. You're not wrong, per se. There are a number of features that would improve the experience. But I'm just being realistic that, until further notice, putting it in the community's hands to make the experience as best as it can be really is the best advice I can give.
Reptile1112
About Me

You will die mortal. TOASTY Speed Metal will never die.

12/21/2013 09:51 PM (UTC)
Why don't the mods make threads more often? Make contests in different forums. If, literally, all we can do is make threads, can the mods and owners help out a little bit, too?
legoslayer10
12/22/2013 02:23 AM (UTC)
So, I would like to be the next person to actively discuss something.

As I stated previously, I don't care for what happens to the site asthectically. All I want is fo it to flourish with activity, and if aesthetic changes are necessary for that, then so be it. At this point in time, the way technology has advanced, MKO is a DRASTICALLY inferior site. It needs a boost to be able to become popular. Pointing fingers at the community that has thinned BECAUSE of the administration or otherwise is not the answer- the fate of a site being put into the hands of the people is as bad an excuse as putting the tourists in charge of a zoo. We don't always have the skills, resources, or time to be able to keep the site popular. We need people capable of transforming the site to actually be ABLE to transform the site, instead of putting them into the cages that keep us from upgrading. The fact that my computer- this little 32-bit, Adobe- killing, Windows 6 runner- can run plenty more than the site is a major problem. I feel that if the administration actually cared enough, they'd give the people who actually can and want to upgrade the site the tools to do it, instead of hoping we'll stay while being cracked down on for wanting to upgrade.

I have been away from this site for awhile. I really don't have anything to do here anymore because anything interesting or fun either gets clogged, ruined, or shut down. They want this site to prosper via commnity, but still crack down on the community for practically ENCOURAGING intervention. Even just bringing back the beloved Drive-By would be a great thing for this site- but the rules there are awful! It was shut down for being popular, practically. Yes, people were talking about Smash Bros. when it had it's own forum, but we were alerting people to things- encouraging activity! We were being a community, and were punished for it. The fact that we're talking about the Drive-By here in a good light is a bad-thing at this point.

Yes, the mods here (those left, anyway) are generally good people, wanting the site to evolve themselves, but don't have the tools! It's all up to Mick to make the decision to give somebody the tools at this point. If he really wants us to be a modern, popular site, he has to do something.
Kabal20
About Me

XBL: kabal31082, PSN: Kabal31082
Nintendo Id: kabal82, 3ds friend code: 2595-3252-2624

12/22/2013 03:30 AM (UTC)
torchia Wrote:

In addition, in the spirit of complete transparency, I have no idea what I am allowed to give dragon points for anymore. I've handed a few out here and there, but have been slapped on the wrist once or twice for it, as well. The guidelines I've been given, "award to interesting thought-provoking posts", are not only extremely vague, but my opinion of what is worthy may differ from yours. I understand that my judgement needs to come into play, but when I do make an executive decision, I find out I was wrong.

This is complete asinine too. Over on the Double Helix Boards users can like each others posts (you can't give negative feedback [ie skulls] on a post though), there is no restriction based on a users rank or having to be a "thought-provoking" post. You get little achievement/trophies for having X amount of likes or number of posts and your user rank is based on that.

I think this kind of system would help encourage the community to participate more and to make more posts and topics based on what our peers on this site like and are discussing. Create some more user ranks and give users the ability to award DP based on posts they like, and reserve skulls for the mods.
KungLaodoesntsuck
12/22/2013 03:46 AM (UTC)
Kabal20 Wrote:
I think this kind of system would help encourage the community to participate more and to make more posts and topics based on what our peers on this site like and are discussing. Create some more user ranks and give users the ability to award DP based on posts they like, and reserve skulls for the mods.

The PS forums have something like that too in the form of Kudos. Kudos are great because it's a great way to be supportive of an idea or thread without having to post. It always a great way to highlight thought provoking, intelligent, or helpful posts.
Kabal20
About Me

12/22/2013 03:53 AM (UTC)
KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
Kabal20 Wrote:

The PS forums have something like that too in the form of Kudos. Kudos are great because it's a great way to be supportive of an idea or thread without having to post. It always a great way to highlight thought provoking, intelligent, or helpful posts.

Over on the Double Helix Boards every post a user makes, their sig includes how many post they've made on the site and how many of them have been liked.

I think it's pretty pointless to list how many times a user has logged in to the site. But knowing a user has posted over 2,000 times and not having a single post liked, says volumes of their contribution IMO.
Plus I think this kind of a system would cut down on a good chunk of the bashing. I'd be hard to attack someone personally over their ideas or posts when they have other users agreeing with what they are saying (so long as they are being civil about it).
RedSumac
12/22/2013 06:44 PM (UTC)
I like idea of having "Like" button, but not idea of the "Dislike" one.
I've seen one forum inmplemented reputation system and it has qucikly become "weapon" of trolls and "old-school members" who downvoted anyone who they were disagreing with. After several months this system was mostly abolished, so people couldn't see amount of votes they had, defeating the whole purpose of Rep system.
Kabal20
About Me

12/22/2013 10:31 PM (UTC)
RedSumac Wrote:
I like idea of having "Like" button, but not idea of the "Dislike" one.
I've seen one forum inmplemented reputation system and it has qucikly become "weapon" of trolls and "old-school members" who downvoted anyone who they were disagreing with. After several months this system was mostly abolished, so people couldn't see amount of votes they had, defeating the whole purpose of Rep system.

I wasn't suggesting a dislike or skull button. That should be reserved for the mods. But i think they should add a like button or at least add a bunch of ranks and give all users the ability to give out Dragon Points to any post they like, regardless if the post is "thought provoking" or not.
RedSumac
12/22/2013 11:37 PM (UTC)
Kabal20 Wrote:
I wasn't suggesting a dislike or skull button. That should be reserved for the mods. But i think they should add a like button or at least add a bunch of ranks and give all users the ability to give them out to any post they like, regardless if the post is "thought provoking" or not.

Now, that's something that I can support.
Basically, it should be similar to the current MKO system with Dragon points, but accessible to more people, right?
Reptile1112
About Me

You will die mortal. TOASTY Speed Metal will never die.

12/23/2013 10:30 PM (UTC)
Man, I feel like this should be stickied, and that this topic should be a lot more active. But that's MKO for ya.
KungLaodoesntsuck
12/24/2013 05:41 PM (UTC)
This is a really small suggestion, but how about if it tells you who last posted in a thread? You could put it close to where it says who made the thread.

How about a notification system as well? Where it would tell you if someone posted in a thread you posted in, or if someone quoted you, or if we had likes if someone liked your post or thread.
m0s3pH
About Me

Mortal Kombat Online - Community Manager

| Twitch | YouTube | Lawful Chaos |

Signature and avatar by ThePredator151

12/24/2013 05:51 PM (UTC)
Reptile1112 Wrote:
Man, I feel like this should be stickied, and that this topic should be a lot more active. But that's MKO for ya.

There's already a "monitored" feedback thread.
acidslayer
12/26/2013 12:43 PM (UTC)
I wouldn't mind an update. this site could use a bit of fresh air. plus it seems like the community would like it as well. only time will tell.
Jaded-Raven
12/26/2013 01:52 PM (UTC)
Notice who the MK Featured User is at the moment. XD
How fitting...
J-spit
About Me
Twilight Muthafuckin' Sparkle

Sig by TheCypher
12/26/2013 03:37 PM (UTC)
I never realized how behind the times this site was beyond the whole HTML thing before observing this thread.

I too long for some kind of notification system. I remember having some interesting dialogues with users only to lose track in a sea of pages popping up between log ins back in the drive-by days.

Oh drive-by. You left, Rockchalk is scarce (still crushing on you wink), and I'm just pooping on toilets thinking about it all while listening to Busta Rhymes.

Now don't you miss when I could post in this fashion freely in a space conducive to such ramblings?
Zmoke
12/30/2013 05:19 PM (UTC)
There is a fair amount of buzz about Mortal Kombat Online as it stands now, I see. Has been for a long while in fact. Thus, I thought myself that what would be greater than a poll on it to see how things really are. I do not, per se, complain or offer better alternatives in this thread – even though I'm certain they exist – but merely inquire what you users think.

Truth is, the forum development has been stagnant for how many years, Garlador was pushed away unfairly and the community rules are what they are. But I follow them. I won't violate the community rules in this thread, so we're safe to go. Cast your vote, comment, contribute and speak out.

The poll has been updated to have it more neutral.

How can Mortal Kombat Online reach new heights?Replace some of the inactive fellows with motivated ones.Coders, innovators & enthusiastic pros are all it needs.Trying to motivate the site admins to their full potential.Strap it on the back of a unicorn. (Suggested by a brony.)

Spectated by: Test Your Might
Mojo6
About Me

12/30/2013 05:35 PM (UTC)
The burden does not solely fall on Mick so the poll is pretty biased. There's a blatant lack of direction/interaction from the technical admins of the site and while Mick plays a role in that as Webmaster, a lot of that is out of his wheelhouse.
Zmoke
12/30/2013 06:23 PM (UTC)
Mojo6 Wrote:
The burden does not solely fall on Mick so the poll is pretty biased. There's a blatant lack of direction/interaction from the technical admins of the site and while Mick plays a role in that as Webmaster, a lot of that is out of his wheelhouse.

I completely realize that not everything is on Mick but really, the most is. He could easily lighten the burden by 1) recruiting some new guys that wouldn't just moderate the site but actually develop it, since this is what we are talking about: updating Mortal Kombat Online.

I.e., find new ways to fund this place for one. For starters, I would for example create an additional "Cyber Sub-Zero theme" for those who have "upgraded" Sub-Zero to "Flawless." A cyborg would be befitting in an online forum. Donators simply want more incentives, to be real.
The thing is, MKO requires drastic changes in order to keep up and as we've seen it, the most drastic changes now have been a handful of minor graphical updates, like giving a hat to the Mortal guys. (Which is not big.)
Mojo6
About Me

12/30/2013 07:42 PM (UTC)
Zmoke Wrote:
Mojo6 Wrote:

I completely realize that not everything is on Mick but really, the most is. He could easily lighten the burden by 1) recruiting some new guys that wouldn't just moderate the site but actually develop it, since this is what we are talking about: updating Mortal Kombat Online.

I.e., find new ways to fund this place for one. For starters, I would for example create an additional "Cyber Sub-Zero theme" for those who have "upgraded" Sub-Zero to "Flawless." A cyborg would be befitting in an online forum. Donators simply want more incentives, to be real.
The thing is, MKO requires drastic changes in order to keep up and as we've seen it, the most drastic changes now have been a handful of minor graphical updates, like giving a hat to the Mortal guys. (Which is not big.)

Yeah but you make it sound like Mick can just drive down to Home Depot, round up a bunch of coders/web developers, wrangle them in the back of a pick-up and "bring 'em on over to MKO to fix'er right up."

I don't always agree with Mick but it's unfair and inaccurate to hang all of these problems around his neck. The Garlador thing I still maintain was a bad (and odd) decision and to for the record Mick didn't close/forbide Garlador's Kharacter posts he just consolidated them all into one thread in accordance to forum regs in "order to be less cluttered."

What I find especially hypocritical though is that when I flipped the fuck out on hanky panky's redundant threads (aka clutter) I was told that hanky's spam "wasn't even something that needs going on about" which is the EXACT point the community tried to make to Mick over Garlador's multiple threads for each character. So it's apparently ok to have multiple purse threads on a MK forum but a feature worthy thread devoted to individual MK character analysis is clutter.
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.